Friday 25 September 2009

Bourough Market, London

I've been meaning to post this experience for awhile but something else always came up... like that nice smelling cream from Skin Food. : ) As part of my new explorations in London last month, my friend Siu Mai took me to Borough Market.

No, I had never heard of it which seemed incredible to her. This was kind of like how the conversation went:
SM: "We could go to Borough Market."
Me: "Where's that?"
SM: "You've not heard of Borough Market?"
Me: "No, where is it?"
SM: "You used to live here and you have NEVER been to Borough Market??"
Me: "No, should I have? I've not heard of it before. I've been to Camden and Portobello Markets." (Guess that didn't count in her eyes. :)
SM: "Borough... B-O-R-O..."
Me: "I KNOW how to spell Borough, I have just not heard of it and never been there! What kind of market is it?"
SM: "Oh, it's a really famous market for fresh vege and food. I just found it odd that you have not heard of it.

She went on to tell me about all the good food by the stall vendors like this best-in-the-world chorizo sandwich, the grilled cheese sandwiches, assorted of cheeses, pastries... oh an endless list of yummy stuff. I took lots of pictures and will describe through pictures. It's much better that way.

Walking into the lane that leads to the market from Elephant & Castle station. Some cheese vendors on the left. If I'm not mistaken, this shop sells $$$ cupcakes.


Fruit and vege.
Fresh flowers and plants.

These are peppers but apparently they are only decorative and not edible.

I love Hydrangeas and these were so vibrant!

Mmmmm... pastries! We bought a few from this stall. Check out the size of those meringues on the right!

More cake and pastries.

Main entrance. Big sign, can't miss it.

On the first floor on the right of that building is a restaurant called Roast which has very traditional English Roasts.

I had my coffee fix here.

Their version of fast drip coffee.

Ok, now this lady is selling those delicious chorizo sandwiches that SM was raving about. All her friends who tried it swore it was the best. I was not disappointed! The chorizo's are fried in olive oil (that's going on behind her) then put on a bap drizzled with more olive oil, topped with a roasted red pepper and lots of rocket leaves. The peppery taste from the rocket mingles so nicely with the slightly spicy chorizo. The sweet bell pepper just tops it all very nicely.

The chorizo is under all that rocket.
Ok the toasted cheese sandwiches here are filling and the best thing is they taste so good when they go down!

Here they are being prepared in bulk.


Fruit and vege.

These are all curries!

As the sign goes... seafood.

We stopped here for some scallops topped with bacon. It was only ok. The scallops could have been seared better and the whole thing could really have done without all the garnishing save for the bacon.

SM had some oysters from the same stall but was not impressed. Later she went to another stall which had fresher oysters near the entrance.

As you can see I am so impressed with their fruit and vege selection as I feel quite deprived here in Seoul.


Here we have dried fruits and nuts.

Turkish delight in all flavours and baclava.

Olives anyone? I did a bit of sampling here... yummy!

These Parma Ham with Melon and salad packages looked so good!

Ah... the other oyster stall which SM got her oysters fix from.

Plums and Apples

They had all these interesting banners hung around the market. This one in particular caught my eye. Truly eccentric throw on the artichoke.

I sampled the Thai Green Curry here which was pretty authentic.
If you are interested to visit Borough Market, here is the website: http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/

It was a totally fun and filling day for me.

1 comment:

Numinosity said...

I'm a food court junkie! That's what my husband always comments when we're traveling. I'm always drawn to the food courts, especially in SE Asia. it's always so intriguing to me to see the different varieties and combinations of food all laid out before you in an array of colors and smells.