Tuesday 4 August 2009

Oh Churros, how do I love thee! Let me count the ways.

Since going to Disneyland back in my teens, I have been rather fond of Churros and over the years it has grown to a honest to goodness love for the snack! Churros originated in Spain and apparently is normally eaten during breakfast dipped in hot chocolate.

The only way I have eaten churros is when it is sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. I have been able to find it sold by street vendors in Japan, Singapore, Korea, Australia and of course the US. The ones in Japan are pretty spot on, Singapore sells them slightly shorter and less thick in diameter which makes them slightly dry when they keep it in the oven. The same goes for the ones I have tried in Korea. A little disappointing when the center is hard. It should be cruncy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside.

My sister recommended this really yummy one at Victoria's Market in Melbourne. The vendor was in a van situated at one end of the clothing market and if a queue is any sign of a good thing in the making, this one certainly had a steady queue of customers. My sister bought it for me to try but in the end I only got one as she gobbled the rest.

I am happy to report that I have found churros in Seoul! You can now buy a box of 25 from Costco for about KRW13,000 and heat them in your oven for 10mins at about 200C. You can then enjoy them to your hearts content. They even come with their own bag of cinnamon sugar. YUMMY!

The best thing is, it tastes even better than what you can get from the street vendors here. Just the way I like it. Crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside. 10mins is enough. If you want it more crunchy keep it in for a little longer.




No comments: