Saturday 22 August 2009

Checking Out Lee Chul Hair Ker Ker

In a previous post, I wrote about looking for a hairdresser. I found a place in Myeong-dong that is fairly well known called Lee Chul Hair Kerker. I have no idea why the Kerker at the end, I am sure it has some vague reference to hair in a language other than English. I first read it on Annalog’s blog, she went to the one in Apgujeong. After going to the Lee Chul website, I found that they had a salon in Myeong-dong which is easier for me to find.If are taking the subway, take Line 4 and get out at exit 6. You will emerge in front of Migliore shopping centre. (The shops are shut now due to renovation, try visiting the one in Dongdaemun if you’re interested). With Migliore on the left, walk down the street and take the first left. Keep walking about 25m and about 3 stores after the first lane on the right, you will see the sign for Lee Chul. It’s on the 4th floor but they usually have a poster outside the entrance to the building.

Take the lift to the 4th floor and you will see the reception desk a little inside and to the right. Tell them what you want done (eg. Shampoo, cut & blow dry, perm, colour etc…), then you will be ushered to a little waiting area with some padded benches to wait. They offer you coffee or tea while you wait. Once a stylist is ready, that person will bring you to one of their seats.

They spoke very little English so I used whatever basic Korean I knew to communicate how I would like my hair done, but I did ask for a magazine with hairstyle to make it easier for them to see what I wanted. They brought me a clear holder where they had inserted pictures of Korean stars to see which hairstyle I would like to emulate! I found that quite amusing. I am not too familiar with the Korean stars but there were quite a few of them there for me to get an ‘idea’ of what’s IN.

In the end, I found a ‘do’ that was similar to what I wanted to achieve and told my stylist, whose name is Linda by the way, with some adjustments to length etc…

Next thing I know I am getting a shampoo and the shampoo girl (for lack of a better title) did a decent job of washing and massaging my scalp. Then we move to the sinks and I like how we aren’t totally lying down like the salons in Singapore and Malaysia but you’re not sitting upright either like in Australian salons but sort of at a comfortable 45 degrees. This makes it a lot easier to get up after your hair is washed and your head feels heavier with the towel.

All in all, the cut was neat and nice. The layers were good, gradual and not too choppy which is important. I would feel more comfortable if Linda spoke a bit more English as it still felt a bit risky letting her have a go at my hair even with the picture.

I would definitely go back. KRW25,000 for shampoo, cut and blow dry is really reasonable and much cheaper than Singapore!



1 comment:

Brenda said...

good informaiton! I think I will just go down to Linda someday next week to have mine done, W25,000 is really decent price!! Brenda