Wednesday 5 August 2009

My Singer is finally here

I had recently decided to tap into my more creative side. I am not terribly interested in crafts but am pretty alright with sewing. So began my quest to find a good beginner-intermediate sewing machine. The last sewing machine I used was the old machines from back in the 60's/70's that was in my grandmother's house. I had a lot of fun with that machine and did some pretty decent little projects.


I was also inspired by my aunts who were always quite nimble with their fingers and made some useful home decor and bags etc...

In my next post I will talk a little more about whats available out the for a beginner-intermedate model sewing machine. Here though is my new Singer Traditon 2273. Still in the box! Had not had time to take it out yet. Will do that later tonight.

For those who are interested, I bought it from Sunmart. I went to their store with my friend SY who is Korean and that was a good thing because they don't speak English. They have all their model there and you can try each one out. I found it extremely useful to test out the machine and have the salesperson show me all the functions and even how to thread, change the feet, fill the bobbin, etc...

After doing some more research I decided on the Singer and bought it online with the help of SY. I decided to buy it online rather than go to the store (which is in an office building and is really more like an office) because I could get a bigger discount online. I could not open an account with Sunmart because I am not Korean. This is quite typical of a lot of online shopping websites except for G-Market which is obviously ahead of its time. ; ) You also cannot pay with a foreign credit card. So your options are either a bank transfer, credit card or I think Direct Debit. (Not sure about the last one).

Front view of the box

Back view of the box

I can't wait to start using the machine!

2 comments:

Shweta Jain Chopra said...

hi, i am looking for a good sewing machine in seoul can you pls give me directions to this sunmart where you bought your machine..it would be a great help

Gerry said...

When I went there, someone took me there so I can't relaly help you with the directions. Perhaps you could get a friend who reads and write Korean to take down the address from the website and the taxi driver should be able to get you to the building.