Saturday 4 April 2009

A Taste of Eqypt in Seoul - Ali Baba Restaurant

A few days ago, my OH asked if I'd like to go to Smokey Saloon for some burgers for dinner. Told me to think about it. Mid-afternoon he sends me a chat message and asks me what my suggestions were so I write back and say Kraze Burger (love their Onion Ring Burger, although I am sure that is not the name) or Smokey's. His reply pops up around the same time as I send mine (probably wrote it at the same time) "Greek or Middle Eastern cuisine?".

He has had it in his head to try out this Middle Eastern restaurant in Itaewon called Ali Baba. Going along with it, I told him that I didn't mind trying Ali Baba so off we went. It's on the main strip of Itaewon so it's dead easy to find. It's one on the same side as Hamilton Hotel but 2 blocks up. If I am not mistaken it is in the building just before Villa Sortino.

Take the stairs up to the first floor and you will find a cozy little place decked out with posters of Eqypt (one of them says something along the lines of "Egypt is not just mountains???") and little figurines of dead kings and queens of Egypt. The restaurant isn't large, they have about 5 tables of four and then 2 larger booths that are set slightly off to the side which gives a little more privacy.

There was only 2 customers there when we arrived but another 3 tables filled up while we were there. The service was efficient and the food was tasty. We ordered a starter of Baba Ghanoush (made from aubergines/eggplant), Shish Tawouk (grilled chicken chunks on a skwere) and a lamb special. Both mains were first grilled on skewers then served on plates with a yoghurt type dip. We were a little disappointed that the meat wasn't served on the skewers as we had before in Eqypt but it still tasted quite good. It would have been even better if it was infused with the taste of the coals that it would have been BBQ'd over.

I wouldn't recommend it for a family restaurant (the floor was a bit slippery from oil so kids running around would not be a good idea). It's be better as a first stop for a meal and then moving onto something else for the evening.

There are so many restaurants in Itaewon that have Middle Eastern cuisine and I certainly hope to try more. I'd rate it 2/5 for ambience and 3/5 for food.

No comments: