Monday 27 April 2009

Kalbi Kalbi Kalbi!


I used to love Korean BBQ but since I have moved here, I find that I seldom have the urge to eat it. It's like one of those things where you have too much of it or it's too available that it someow loses its appeal.

Going for Korean BBQ used to be a treat. Not only was it a little pricey it was something different like having Italian while you are in Mongolia. Since coming here, the only times I have had Korean BBQ (and I can count with one hand) was because I was being entertaine by clients or I was entertaining clients OR I had guests who naturally wanted Korean BBQ when in Korea.

I recently had some guests over and decided to take them to this little place in Itaewon, in the food alley behind Hamilton Hotel. If you still don't know where that is, it is opposite My Chelsea restaurant. It's called Guga Kalbi. It's a small place with the restaurant being split in two. The inner section has the low tables and you sit on tatami mats and the outer area has tables and benches.

It's run by Ahjummas as far as I could tell. Service was quick and friendly. However, they still do frown at you when you try to cook the meet yourself as we don't do it quite their way. : P The meat was fresh and yummy. I especilaly liked their side dishes and in particular this salad of spring onions and bean sprouts. It was a nice cozy atmosphere. I have tried Itaewon Galbi and Busan Galbi down the road and was unimpressed. The meat was only ok and the environment was too crowded and smoky.

A nice piece of beef steak

A side dish of raw crab marinated in their special spicy sauce
The salad I was telling you about

I will definitely go to Guga Kalbi again. 3.5/5

2 comments:

Dedric said...

Dang, 8 posts in April. Aren't you glad we decided to do corporate blogs??

Gerry said...

Haha, I thought I did more actually. : )