Friday 1 January 2010

It's Green and it's Delicious - Pandan Cake

There aren't many types of food that is green and tastes good like Pandan Cake. I had a craving recently and decided to hunt down a recipe (a reliable source from House of Annie) to make it myself. I then found out that I needed a chiffon cake thin and also Cream of Tartar (which I couldn't find in the local supermarkets). Luckily the Seoul International Baking Fair was around the corner so I went with some friends and found both items at the show.

Making the cake wasn't too difficult but it was quite time consuming beating the egg white and I had so many egg yolks left over after that. I could have made the cake slightly less green but I thought the colour was rich. The cake turned out beautifully and smelled so good as it was baking. I made the mistake of greasing the cake thin (NEVER grease a chiffon cake tin as it can prevent it from rising) but I was quite lucky as the cake still rose.

Overall I was quite pleased with my first attempt. The cake was moist and springy but I felt it could have been fluffier. I have had some advice on that. Some were that I had to beat the egg whites for longer, another friend said that perhaps I could have added some baking powder etc...
We shall revisit that later when I make my next one. I have tried the same recipe with orange and that tasted totally yummy too. Perhaps a lemon one next?

2 comments:

Nate @ House of Annie said...

Your cake looks absolutely delicious. Good luck on your future attempts. Please do leave a comment on our original post when you figure out how to get it the way you like it.

Gerry said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I will let you know how my next attempt goes.