Sunday 3 January 2010

Cool Tip on Making Your Own Bias Tape

Although my blog has a lot of food related posts to it, I also do a bit of sewing which I don't really post about. I have done quite a few projects of late - purely for personal pleasure and sense of achievement really than anything else. Also, it feels great to see a completed piece of work and it doesn't hurt when your friends like it too.

One of the things I had to learn earlier on when I took up sewing again was making my own bias binding/tape. I find putting binding always add that bit of detail that makes a something that started out as being ordinary (but nice) just that little bit more interesting. It's like buying a top that comes with a free matching necklace or brooch.

Sample of bias tape I made to add to the edge of this baby blanket.


The blanket was made with batting and quilted in 3" squares. It's pretty but plain, the blue and white bias edging transforms the blanket.

Anyway... I found this cool tip from The Green Wife who has her own blog. Besides knowing how to put together bias binding/tape (I am going to stick to the word 'tape' as it is shorter to type) the hardwork is ironing the edges in. This video tutorial from the Green Wife will show you a simple and totally clever way of doing it in no time!

Make your own bias tape. - Savvy Seams
Sewing on bias tape. - Angry Chicken

No comments: