Friday 20 November 2009

Shopping in Karosu-gil

After I arrived in Seoul, I read about Karosu-gil and wanted to explore, however it took me some time before I actually went there. I wasn't disappointed though, I went with one of my best friends who also has a taste for a good shopping experience!

Not the best picture I know. Will try to take better shots at the next trip.

S came from Malaysia and wanted to dive into Korean fashion. So handbag in tow (with our trusty credit cards of course) we headed to this little shopping street. The directions we got were to head up the street from Sinsa Station and take the first left after Paris Baquette.

Much has been written about Karosu-gil and it's chic shops. Although the name means 'tree-lined street', I think there are actually more trees in Samcheongdong-gil. But let's not take away the 'quaintness' of this place. You will be hard pressed not to bounce from one side of the street to the next as you see some attractive window displays beckoning you to enter the cozy stores.

We were disciplined (sort of) and proceeded down the left and then made a U-y at the end to come back up the street.

At the top end of the street there is a rather large cafe called Coffee Smith, you can't miss it. It's designed with wood and steel so it's got a warm inviting look about it yet staying well away from being rustic with the steel beams. It's 2 storeys and seems pretty packed on the weekend.

There are a few stores that I would label as favourites on that street. One of them is Understar which is next to Coffee Smith. It's underground and has a cool selection of thights/leggings, gloves and mufflers. You will find plenty of styles for these along the street but I find the quality and colours from Understar the best. My top buy from Understar are their leggings with the zipper detail at the bottom.

They are also carrying some cool hoodie capes. Hard to describe. They are knitted hoodies but it only comes down to your shoulders. There is a zip opening to one side which sits nicely as if it was all was meant to be there! Totally not designed for warmth but for fashion!

A few doors down is my favourite store called Brush. It's small, white and always has the most attractive thing on the window and on the rack closest to the door. I always end up buying something there! Their designs are simple but unique and tend only to have 1 size. You can't always try on their clothes so be prepared to be disappointed if you don't have a 'regular' body shape.

I picked up a nice long red turtle next sweater with snap button details at the end of the sleeves there but also fell in love with a grey dress with butterfly sleeves and zipper details at the hips as well as a latte coloured dress with opened sides from shoulder to waist and a woven metal detail at the waist.

I also walked away with a stunning piece of jewelry last week. It's a gold short necklace with what looks like tiny metal beads on it. So hard to describe but it's a beautiful accessory. That one cost about KRW69,000 but really well made so definitely worth the dosh. In general I find their prices very reasonable. Better quality than what you generally find in Doota (Dongdaemun) and not your typical high street designs like Zara, Gap, MNG etc...

Other worthy stores to note for clothes are (on the same side of the street as Brush) About Some, Barbara Shoes (although I always feel they are overpriced), Jiny's Closet and something more familiar Kate Spade at the end of the street. On the other side of the street I like E-At Home, Farmer (hair accessories for special occasions... or not), and the jewelry store next to Farmer whose name I can't remember. That store has the most delicate necklaces at very affordable prices. You will find something for yourself or a gift for a friend at the drop of a hat.

There are also some nice restaurants and cafes along the way. I particularly want to try Deux Cremes as they are suppose to have the most deletable tarts. Will try that the next time.

No comments: