Thursday 26 November 2009

Chocolate Fruit and Nut Cases - You can't have just one!

Some years ago, my OH gave me 'The Delia Collection - Chocolate' recipe book for Christmas. I loved pretty much everything in the book but have only attempted a few. The recipes are relatively simple, nothing very exotic beyond Marello Cherries. She does use prunes a lot with her chocolate cake recipes but I suppose it would add a bit of texture to the cakes.

One of my all time favourite recipes was discovered in this book! When I was young, one of my Aunt used to make these chocolate cornflakes that she would freeze in a baking tin and then cut them up into large pieces that we could eat till there was chocolate all over our face. Needless to say that when I saw the Chocolate Fruit and Nut Cases recipe in this book, I went... well a little NUTS. : )

This is a sure win, no nonsense, right for all occassions, gurantee hit with kids or adults! You're thinking... yeah right! I kid you not, I can gobble up 3 or 4 in those mini cupcake cases at a go, more if I want to feel guilty after. If in doubt - try it. Here's the recipe.


Extreme close up

Word of advice...
I have had my batches of chocolate sauce seize while using the double boiling method. There are several reasons for this.
  • You could be overheating the chocolate
  • Don't let the pan/bowl holding the chocolate touch the water in the pan below
  • The ingredients asks for you to add butter and maple syrup, if your butter was sweating before you put it in, this could cause the chocolate to seize too. To avoid this, you could keep the butter out of the recipe (I tried that and did not loose flavour or texture) and/or mix the golden syrup only when you are mixing the cornflakes and the chocolate together
  • Any trace of water will cause the chocolate to seize so make sure your utensils are DRY before using them to melt the chocolate

No comments: