Wednesday 11 March 2009

Carrot & Walnut Cake by White Wings

I normally bake cakes from scratch following a recipe. But recently, my OH has introduced me to the 'instant' kind. Prepared cake mixes that you just add water or eggs or milk or butter and voíla its ready to go into the oven in 5 minutes or something ridiculous like that.

Being a fan of carrot cake, I decided to try the White Wings version of the Carrot & Walnut cake together with icing. It was pretty easy to make. The box contained 3 packets. 1 was the cake mix, the other the icing mix and finally the walnuts. I just had to add 2 eggs, 1 cup of water and half a cup of oil. I used extra virgin (not sure of the effect) and added some more walnuts for more texture.

After mixing it all together, I just popped it into the oven at fan assisted 160C for 55mins according to the instructions. I then made the icing mixture by adding 1 tbs of butter which I accidentally melted by nuking it for too long in the microwave. I popped it into the fridge for an extra 5 minutes to 'stiffen' it up a bit more. : ) Then 4 tbs of milk instead of the 2 and a half as the icing was too thick to handle.

The taste of the cake was pretty mediocre. I would give it a 5/10. The colour seemed a little darker than I was used to and it was a little too cinnamony. There was a lot of carrot peels inside so they definitely did't scrimp on that but the taste didn't impress me. It was also a little dry, so only a 4/10 for texture.

4.5/10 overall rating. Probably won't buy this again. Going to try the Profiteroles next.

No comments: