Saturday 31 October 2009

St John Bread and Wine

When I visited London a couple of months ago, I insisted that my friend Siu Mai (not her real name) take me to St John Bread and Wine after reading her food escapade there on her blog. I was not disappointed. I was just susprised I put away as much as I did.

St John Bread and Wine is near the old Spitalfields market and they pretty much experiment and create dishes from all the interesting parts of the common animals that we consume. The menu was exciting and it didn't take us too long to decide what we wanted to eat. We made sure we were hungry too!


Here's a look at the menu.


Cold Angus, Horseradish and Wood Sorrel
This looks very raw but it was surprisingly light on the palate and tasty.

This was the special of the day, Smoked Goose with 'something' cheese but it's actually a jam. It was quite salty so the jam was a nice complement as it tempered the gamey taste of the duck too.

Puffball & Bacon.
The Puffball is made with mushroom and cheese. Rather unusual albeit a little tame in flavour but I guess that's whether the smoked bacon comes into play.


Ox Heart, Salted Crest and Pickled Walnut.
The Ox Heart tasted like chicken heart in that it was crunchy but I would say the combination of the texture and flavours, this was my least favourite dish.


Gingerloaf and Butterscoth Sauce.
Very yummy, SM made the mistake of thinking that little ball of on the side was ice cream. She found out very quickly it was clotted cream!

Blackcherry Sundae.
I am a big fan of Black Cherries so I ordered this. The first mouthful was really sour so my expression gave SM a fit of giggles. But after that it was sweetness all the way! The ice cream and cream tempered the sourness of the cherries and made it soooo good! The caramel biscuit was sweet and crunchy. There was nothing left towards the end.



No comments: