Saturday 6 March 2010

Best Ever Cornflake Cookies Recipe

I am not exagerating when I say "Best Ever" here. Ok so maybe it would also make it easier to turn up on a Google search - heh, heh! A few friends of mine requested this recipe. I decided to make Cornflakes Cookies this year for Chinese New Year as I can't get them here in Seoul. So along with Cornflake Cookies I also made Fah Sang Peng (Peanut Cookies) and some Chocolate Chip Cookies thrown in just because. Believe me, if they were readily available I would not make them but I am glad I did!

This recipe is adapted from a recipe I found online and an Amy Beh recipe. It yields just over 100 cookies about an inch+ in diameter.

Ingredients

125gms softened butter
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 large egg
1 cup self raising flour (or I use 1 cup of cakeflour + 2 tbsp if you can get it)
1/2 tsp grated lemon/orange rind
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
3 cups lightly crushed cornflakes
* optional 1 tsp baking powder if you are using cake flour

Method

Line a baking/cookie tray. Have 2 so you can work on the 2nd one while the first 1 is in the oven.

First cream the butter and sugar together until white and well combined. Then add the egg and beat, scrape down sides of the bowl and add the vanilla essence and lemon/orange rind. Mix well then fold in the flour. For the cornflakes, I put them in a zip lock bag and crush with a rolling pin. Be careful not to overdo it. You want the pieces big enough to coat the cookie and give it a bit of crunch. Pour some cornflakes into a plate of shallow bowl.

When the cookie mixture is done, use 2 teaspoons; 1 to scoop the batter and the other to push it down onto the cornflakes. To get a bite size shape, scoop a mixture about half the teaspoon in size. Remember, it will expand a bit in the oven because of the baking powder. The mixture is pretty sticky so trying to roll it in the cornflakes with your fingers is pretty messy and the results less than pretty. So, I suggest you first use your fingers to sprinkle the cornflakes over the little ball then once it has some cornflakes on it it's a lot easier to 'handle'. Turn it around a bit till nicely coated then continue with the rest.
Here they are before they go into the oven

It will take some time as the coating process is a little tedious. Have a good radio channel on or have the tv in the background, it makes it more enjoyable. : ) Place the cookies about 3-4cm apart to give it room to spread. I also made these cookies with mini cupcake holders and it was cuter, when you allow it to spread by itself, the cookie is no longer coated on all surfaces with the cornflakes. Bake in a preheated oven of 150 degree Celcius for 12-15 minutes. Some recipes say 18-20 minutes but I found that mine were done by about 15 so test a small batch first to be sure.

In the mini cupcake holders. I baked a large batch and put them into containers as gifts for Chinese New Year.

Cool on wire racks then put in air tight containers, or if you are like me, eat as you bake! These are so yummy and crunchy I can just keep eating them. They are great as gifts, or for parties, or just for your own personal enjoyment. The best thing about it is the hint of lemon. Yum!

No comments: